The City of Marathon incorporated in 1999, which set its boundaries, “from the East end of the Seven Mile Bridge approximately Mile Marker (MM) 47 to the West end of Toms Harbors Bridge, approximately MM 60. Being about 1 hour from Key West and Key Largo, The Islands of Marathon are the Boating Destination of the Florida Keys.
The Islands of Marathon are Boot Key, Knight Key, Hog Key, Vaca Key, Stirrup Key, Crawl and Little Crawl Key, East and West Sister’s Island, Deer Key and Fat Deer Key, Long Pine Key and Grassy Key. These islands are steeped with the rich Florida history of Henry Flagler’s railroad days. The name Marathon came about by the railroad workers who were working night and day to complete the railway. Due to the unrelenting pace and struggle to complete the project, the popular exclamation, “This is getting to be a real Marathon”, is how the name originated. Vaca Key and Knight Key were actual railroad stations for the Overseas Railroad, as was the now named Marathon.
Before the railroad, the settlers here were farmers, wreckers and fishermen. To this day, Marathon maintains its claim to some of the best fishing in the world. Great fishing and diving along with beautiful beaches, warm weather and friendly residents make the Islands of Marathon an attractive place to call home. Along with being a pro-business community Marathon is a great place to open, expand, or relocate your business. In addition, our “quality of life” is one of the primary reasons many people and businesses from all over the world choose to operate out of Marathon.
Enjoy our three minute promotion video for The Islands of Marathon in the Florida Keys, and sea what we’re all about; which is an unsurpassed quality of life as well as a great place to relocate you and/or your business to.
I. Quality of Life
- Marathon offers unsurpassed quality of life for business owners, their families and employees/staff.
- Beautiful City and State Parks, community beaches, and even a new dog park
- Our own local Hospital and great local private physicians
- Retail shopping, attractions
- Two local golf courses (Par 3 and 18 hole Championship course & country club)
- Some of the best fishing & diving in the world
- 365 days of sunshine and warm whether
- Surrounded by both the Gulf of Mexico & Atlantic Ocean
II. Business-friendly City Government & Chamber of Commerce
- Affordable commercial & residential space for rent, lease, or sale
- Local government that supports businesses and employees
- Active & aggressive Chamber of Commerce that supports and advocates for local businesses
- Local Community College offers continuing education and training for employees and businesses
- Strong/aggressive local Economic Development Council
- Local Airport and proximity to Miami International Airport and Key West International Airport
III. Infrastructure In-place & at Your Disposal
- Award-winning Deep-Water Harbor (Boot Key Harbor) & Full Service City Marina (Customs & Immigration coming in Q1 2015)
- Marathon Airport (with Customs & Immigration services) & our airport’s FBO Million Air.
- Quality & Comprehensive Healthcare: Fishermen’s Community Hospital (now part of the Baptist Health South Florida system)
- Marathon Fire & Rescue Stations
- Central-Sewer System
- A-Rated (Elementary, Middle & High) Schools and Florida Keys Community College
- Quality Services & Amenities at low tax rate of only 2.59 (as of Sept. 2018)
- Wireless Connectivity/Services for businesses/residents (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, T Mobile, etc.)
- And much more………….
IV. Proximity & Location, Location, Location
- 1 hour to Key West Airport, 1.5 hours to Miami International Airport and downtown Miami
- US1 in Marathon sees an average of over 15,000 cars per day, 365 days/year
- Marathon is located in the heart of the Florida Keys, half way between Key West and Key Largo
- Quick access to our best resource, our crystal clear waters! Easy and quick (few minutes) access to either the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico
Google Interactive Map
Explore the Islands of Marathon by clicking, zooming and moving the interactive map below.